Sunday, July 20, 2014

Wander-ling: Rome Day 3

  Hello, my friendliest of friendly friends! Here's what I did on the third day of Rome! On the fourth day of Rome, it was our last day in Rome and our first day of Castiglion Fiorentino. I will blog about that later. 

  Day 3: July 13

  On this day, my dad, sister, Don, and I were scheduled to go to a museum near the train station. It was supposed to contain artifacts from Ancient Rome, and my dad really wanted to see it. Personally, I'm not really one for museums of this nature, but I had a good time looking at ancient pottery and sculptures with my family. And Don. Honestly, there's not much to say about this museum. I'm sorry.
  After, we took a very crowded subway up to the Spanish Steps, where we walked around and went into Sephora. It wasn't as big as the one in Paris, but it was still pretty awesome. While at the Spanish Steps, we had lunch at the golden arches. Also known as McDonald's. Don't hate me! I know that "When in Rome" blah, blah, blah, but it's a tradition. Also, the McDonald's in Rome is one of the largest in the world, and the chicken nuggets are really good, okay?
  After lunch we went to the Capuccin catacombs. For those of you who don't know what this is, it's basically a small underground church decorated with the bones of deceased Capuccin monks and church figures. The walls are lined with decoratively arranged pelvises, leg bones, vertabrae, anything you can think of. There are also skeletons dressed in monk robes. It's quite creepy. I'm sorry, but I wasn't allowed to take my own pictures in there, but I'm sure if you looked it up, you could find something.
  In the evening, we did our official meet-up with the students. We met all 27 of them at the train station, bought them their tickets, and told them about the next day where we'll all head out together to Castiglion Fiorentino. After meeting up with them, my family (and Don), went back out to Piazza Navona for dinner. We ate dinner at another one of our favorite restaurants. The lady there recognized me and my sister and was really excited to see us. We've been going there since we were seven. She's so sweet. For dinner, I got a delicious Tagliatelli alla Bolegnese. 
  After dinner, we walked around a bit and soaked up Roman night life, and got gelato at Gelato di San Crispino. This is a little gelateria in the square of the Pantheon which was mentioned in my favorite book: Eat Pray Love. It was just as amazing as Liz Gilbert described it. I got a delicious crunchy honey flavor and caramel. Oh my goodness, it was fantastic. 
  At the end of the night, I looked outside my hotel window and saw the entirety of the ghetto area where we stay under the allure of the World Cup. Everyone was sitting or standing outside the restaurants on the street, watching the game, including the sketchy guys on  the street. It was awesome and made me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. I also got to skype my bestest friend, Savannah, which was really fun! This was basically my last full day in Rome, and I really enjoyed it! 

-Love Ling



No comments:

Post a Comment