Monday, July 21, 2014

Wanderl-ling: Rome Day 4 and Castiglion Fiorentino Day 1

  Bon Giorno, ragazzi! Good morning, guys! This post is going to be about my last morning spent in Rome and the rest of my day spent in Castiglion Fiorentino. If you're new to my blog, here's the post about my travels and why I'm here. Click here to view this post.

  Day 4 Rome: July 14

  It's a tradition that every time my family comes to Rome, we go to the Coloseum. Since our train out of Rome didn't leave until the afternoon, we tried to get to the Colosseum in the morning. Before we got there, we wanted to visit Bocca della Verita (aka the mouth of truth). Alas, we took the subway to visit this said "Mouth of Truth", which we didn't get into. The line was way too long, so we took a picture of it from the outside. Apparently, it was originally used as part of a fountain, but now it is said that if you stick your hand in its mouth and lie, it'll eat your hand. 
  After seeing this phalanges-eating fountain beast, my dad, sister, and I commenced our trek to the Coloseum. We walked about a mile towards what we thought was the great dome, but we got lost. Seeing that we were running out of time before we had to hop on the train, we went back to the hotel. No Coloseum was seen that day.
  Once back at the hotel, we had lunch with two of our students at Giuseppe's before heading to the train station to go to the great CF (Castiglion Fiorentino). The train ride wasn't too bad. It was about two hours long, and before we knew it, we were there. My family and I are very familiar with this town, seeing that we'd been here several times. My sister and I have grown up with the people working at the study center and are so blessed to be able to come back each year. Castiglion Fiorentino is special to us. Not  only is it the best Italian town ever, but it's the kind of place where everyone knows everyone and you just feel at home here.
  Once we arrived at the study center where we and several other students were to be staying, my sister and I went to our assigned rooms, unpacked our bags and made our normal rounds. Texas A&M has a program here as well, so our group and that group would be staying and studying here at what is called Santa Chiara. 
  For the rest of the day, I just chilled, settled in, and (of course!) got some delicious gelato.

  I hope you enjoyed this post! Check back for more "Wander-ling" posts about my travels here in Europe. 

-Love Ling

(PS: I know that my family wasn't able to visit some of the main tourist attractions in Rome, for example, the Trevi Fountain. Believe me, we wanted to. Unfortunately, the fountain was under construction, so we wouldn't have been able to do the sole thing we go to the fountain to do, which is tossing a coin. It's tragic, I know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment